About the role:
Barry Callebaut is a global organization poised for growth; a company which has embraced the vision to delight its customers, while out-performing its competitors, a business which is committed to sustainability, has innovation in its DNA, is a leader in complex manufacturing and supply chain solutions and is focused on being a best-in-class employer. Barry Callebaut seeks diverse and passionate people who thrive in a dynamic environment, focused on continuous learning, living BC’s Values and of course loving chocolate.
The position of R&D Product Expert Specialist, under the direction of the R&D Manager and Product Expert, is responsible for providing technical project leadership, manufacturing technical support, and customer R&D communication to support the needs of sales, production, and quality. Similarly, the incumbent will troubleshoot existing items, plan and execute new product development projects, implement process improvements to the R&D commercialization process, and promote cross functional knowledge across products and platforms.
Key responsibilities include:
● Align Product Development Brief prior to development
● Develop new or improved products within aggressive timelines based on Product Development Brief by:
o Documenting observed results, analyzing data, drawing conclusions and making recommendations.
o Planning, attending, and executing line trials which involve procuring ingredients, communicating with the team, providing costs, change requests, documentation and suggestions for ongoing operations/quality improvement.
o Conducting an effective sensory evaluation, analyzing the results, and using learnings in future development.
● Provide technical support for new products, cost reduction/margin enhancement, quality improvement, and ingredient technology projects.
● Support Customer Service, Marketing and Logistic, and cross-functional partners by providing product technical information as requested.
● Provide immediate and ongoing information to sales about new product development information.
● Ensure food safety, food quality and regulatory standards are understood and implemented.
● Assist in troubleshooting issues with product and processes.
● Bachelor's Degree (4 year College or University) is a must, Field of Study: Food Science/Technology, Food Engineering or related field.
● 3 plus years of experience in food/beverage product development or applications is a must.
● Previous experience working within a production environment, experience collecting and interpreting technical data, including sensory, analytical, and commercialization.
● General knowledge of food technology and equipment.
● Good working knowledge of GMPs, Health and Safety regulations.
● Strong understanding of functionality of ingredients.
● Strong understanding of regulatory requirements for nutrition labeling of chocolate and chocolate products such as, Fair Trade, Organic, GMO and other sustainability program requirements.
● Ability to drive projects to completion
● Ability to develop an extensive understanding of production capabilities and processes across relevant categories.
● High degree of accountability and professional commitment required.
What you can expect from Barry Callebaut:
● Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package
● 12 paid holidays, generous PTO, plus your birthday off
● Environment that welcomes workplace flexibility
● An atmosphere where diversity is embraced, and inclusivity is second nature. We call it #OneBC! Just ask our champions with the Americas Women’s Forum and the Racial Equality Forum!
● Ability to grow personally and professionally within an organization that values development and internal career growth
● Be part of our mission in making sustainability the norm through Forever Chocolate with priorities centered around prospering farmers, zero child labor, carbon and forest positive, and creating 100% sustainable ingredients in all of our products.